Spotlight - NY YOUTH SYMPHONY with Anna Jacobs - Composer/Lyricist, Artist in Residence, Music Educator
Today's episode focuses on the Musical Theater Composition program of the New York Youth Symphony, directed by Anna Jacobs. Her musicals include:
- POP! (book & lyrics by Maggie-Kate Coleman)
- HARMONY, KANSAS (book & lyrics by Bill Nelson)
- ANYTOWN (book by Jim Jack)
- TEETH (co-book & lyrics by Michael R. Jackson)
- STELLA AND THE MOON MAN (written by Richard Tulloch & co-composed with Adrian Kelly)
- CAGE MATCH and MAGIC 8 BALL (Prospect Theatre Company; w/ Sam Salmond & Michael R. Jackson)
- KAYA: TASTE OF PARADISE, a soon-to-be-released movie musical commissioned by the New York Film Academy and featuring Okieriete Onaodowan (screenplay by Jerome Parker, directed by Paul Warner)
Anna was recognized for her work as a composer/lyricist with the prestigious Billie Burke Ziegfeld Award. She’s a former Sundance Fellow and Dramatists Guild Fellow, and has been an Artist in Residence at Ars Nova, New Dramatists, Musical Theatre Factory, Goodspeed, and Barrington Stage Company. Anna holds an M.F.A. in Musical Theatre Writing from NYU-Tisch and is on faculty at The New School.
Also featured in this episode are two students in the MT Composition program, Sydney Altbacker and Tate Robinson, along with their new piece "Song for Marilyn" which was written for the class.
Watch the full interview with Sydney, Tate, and two other students on the WINMI YouTube Channel.
The New York Youth Symphony, founded in 1963 as an orchestra to showcase the metropolitan area's most gifted musicians ages 12-22, has since grown to encompass programs in chamber music, conducting, composition, and jazz, with performances at world class venues including Carnegie Hall, Jazz at Lincoln Center, and Joe's Pub at The Public.
For more info, go to www.whyillnevermakeit.com.
Intro music and interludes:
"Reverie (small theme)" by _ghost
2010 - Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution (3.0)