Wednesday Jun 03, 2020
Tribute to Alvin Ailey - Dancer & Choreographer Preserving the African-American Cultural Experience
When it comes to the performing arts and certainly to dance, there are few people more worthy of admiration, of inspiration and imitation than Alvin Ailey. He was both uniquely gifted and qualified to tell the African-American experience which he lived and saw and reacted to through the art of dance.
- Alvin Ailey - https://www.alvinailey.org/alvin-ailey-american-dance-theater/alvin-ailey
- Judith Jamison - https://www.alvinailey.org/alvin-ailey-american-dance-theater/judith-jamison
- Robert Battle - https://www.alvinailey.org/alvin-ailey-american-dance-theater/robert-battle
- Lester Horton - https://www.kennedy-center.org/artists/h/ho-hz/lester-horton/
- Cry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuTJSbWm2QY
- Masekela Langage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsWWYBxKE0
- Revelations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPJ4kt3a64
Videos and interviews used in the making of this episode:
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre at 50 A Golden Anniversary Celebration
- Big Lives: Profiles of LGBT African Americans - Alvin Ailey
- Alvin Ailey Celebrates 50th - CBS
- Judith Jamison: Early Days with Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- Alvin Ailey and the Importance of the Arts - The New Yorker
- Alvin Ailey connects cultures through dance
- Alvin Ailey speaking at UCLA - 3/9/1983
- Revelations from a lifetime of dance - TEDtalk
The time and expense needed to compile and edit this epiosde was at times challenging but ultimately rewarding. Please consider buying me a coffee to support this work that goes into each episode.
For further insights on the topics covered in this episode follow on Twitter @winmipodcast: https://twitter.com/winmipodcast/
Quotes and unreleased audio clips follow on Instagram @winmipodcast: https://www.instagram.com/winmipodcast/
Music used in this episode:
- "Reverie (small theme)" by _ghost. 2010 - Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution (3.0)
- "Smoldering" by Kai Engel is licensed under a Attribution License.
- "Jazz Brunch" by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Attribution 3.0 International License. Based on a work at incompetech.com.
- "Barbara" by U.S. Army Blues is licensed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 License.
- "Something About John Coltrane" by Alice Coltrane. Licensed to YouTube by
UMG (on behalf of Verve); BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, UMPI, LatinAutor, Jowcol Music (Publishing), LatinAutor - UMPG, and 8 Music Rights Societies.
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.